Monday, October 30, 2017

There's nothing wrong with my eyes; my arms are just too short!


I've been short sighted since the age of 12 but with my glasses I've had 20/20 vision, close or at distance. Until recently, that is! After an unproductive (figure painting-wise) year, I've noticed that after a fairly long break where I didn't put brush to figure, I find it difficult to focus on the details. Hence, after a recent visit to the optometrist at work, I now have not one, but two pairs of glasses! One for everyday distance and computer screen use and the other pair for close in work, like painting figues and reading. The improvement is astounding! I hope this translates to a marked increase in productivity, not only in figure painting, but blogging as well.

Below is the latest output from my workbench (which due to said age-induced eye failure has taken months) namely a continuation of my Neapolitan project. In this instance it's more Guard infantry and the Swinging Dick himself, King Joachim Murat. The command figures and the 1st Regiment of Velite Grenadiers are by the ever brilliant Franznap, although the messenger's horse is a ring in from Zvezda, as the original horse's delicate legs snapped off at the ankles after a mishap.

1st Velite Grenadiers of the Guard 



Command figures

"Andiamo, ragazzi!!"

NCO telling it like it is.

The other ranks aren't that impressed, though.

Hurry up and wait!

"Message for you, Your Majesty!"

Joachim on his Tiger-skin saddle

ADCs from the rear.

The Voltiguers of the Guard are a mishmash of various elite figures from HaT sets like 8095, 8166 and 8167 with head replacements using Italeri heads with the shako plate and cockade shaved off. The unique look of the shakos was achieved by painting alone. Only the officer hasn't had any modifications, besides having his shako details trimmed. He's the only Italeri interloper amongst all the HaT figures.

My version of amaranth is a little too red-brown, when it should really be a pinky-purple as per the images below. I can't work out from the images and what little description I've found if the stripes on the shako were hussar-style flammes / bands or just painted decoration, but as my conversion is just a paint-job, that's the view I'm taking. Also, the images don't make it easy to decide whether the colours should be buff or yellow, so I've made an executive decision for buff shako and collar and yellow lace.

Voltiguers of the Guard



Firing line


Command and infantry 


NCO and marching infantry.







3 comments:

  1. Now this very same thing has happened to me. I actually caught myself with my original glasses perched on the top of my head holding the miniature of choice as close as I could get it to my eyes. Now with a pair of 'readers' I am so relieved to report that I can sit and paint in a relatively normal fashion - just remember to swap them over when you go to make a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice looking figures! I have bifocals but still can't wear them when I paint. This does have me tempted to try some readers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maharashtra HSC Question Paper 2022 is now available with answers for Science, Physics, and Arts. Download Maharashtra Board HSC Question Papers in Marathi and English with solutions in PDF format for all courses. Maharashtra HSC Model Paper 2022 Exam Time Tables for Science, Arts, and Commerce have been released by the Pune Maharashtra Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education. The New Higher Secondary Board Exam Paper Pattern has been announced.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Shelfari Bookshelf